Skip to main content

Heroic Marine who saved about 70 people on the night of the orlando club shootout receives praises from the public.

When the terrifying blasts of rapid gunfire filled an Orlando nightclub early Sunday morning, many clubgoers panicked or froze.
Amid the swirl of sensory overload, their response was overwhelmingly typical of people under threat. In an emergency situation — as any first responder can attest — a victim’s first challenge is overriding the paralysis brought on by extreme fear and confusion.
Imran Yousuf, a bouncer at the Pulse nightclub, had an advantage. A Marine who had served in Afghanistan, Yousuf was able to use his training to quickly identify the impending threat and remain clear-headed as people died around him, according to the Marine Corps Times. Because of the 24-year-old’s decisive actions, he is being credited with saving dozens of lives.
He told CBS News that he knew something was horribly wrong as soon as he heard the familiar crack of gunfire. It was then, he said, that his training took over.
 
“The initial one was three or four” shots, said Yousuf, a former sergeant who left the Marine Corps last month. “That was a shock. Three of four shots go off, and you could tell it was a high-caliber [weapon]. Everyone froze. I’m here in the back, and I saw people start pouring into the back hallway, and they just sardine-pack everyone.
 
 
 
 
 
Yousuf told CBS that he knew there was a door behind the panicked crowd, but people were too overwhelmed to unlatch it.
“And I’m screaming, ‘Open the door! Open the door!’ ” Yousuf said. “And no one is moving because they are scared.”
If they did not act, they could be targeted by the gunman, who could have appeared at any moment. They were a few feet from relative safety. Yousuf told CBS that there was “only one choice.”
“Either we all stay there and we all die, or I could take the chance of getting shot and saving everyone else, and I jumped over to open that latch and we got everyone that we can out of there.”
It was a simple act of heroism, but it may have been one of the most decisive actions that took place that morning. Asked how many people left through that exit, Yousuf told CBS that he estimated as many as 60 or 70.
“As soon as people found that door was open, they kept pouring out, and after that we just ran,” he said.
Yousuf served in the Marine Corps from June 2010 to May 2016 as an engineer equipment electrical systems technician, according to service records obtained by The Washington Post. He deployed to Afghanistan in 2011 and most recently was assigned to the 3rd Marine Logistics Group.
His military awards include the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, the Afghanistan Campaign Medal, the Korean Defense Service Medal and the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon.
 
 
 
Yousuf did not credit a particular type of training with steeling his nerves during the attack or helping him identify the rifle in close quarters.
During his general deployment time frame, Marines typically underwent pre-deployment training in Twentynine Palms, Calif., where they received what was known as Enhanced Mojave Viper training. The website MilitaryNewcomers.com described the experience as “the most realistic, live-fire training exercise in the Marine Corps.”
“The units are presented with facilities, role players and scenarios that closely replicate the environment to which they will deploy,” the site said.
During the same period, Marines training to deploy abroad were prepared for the possibility of an insider attack by Afghan forces. Such training may have borne some resemblance to the surprise attack in Orlando, although Yousuf hasn’t said as much. What he has said, according to the Times, is that he “just reacted.”
“There are a lot of people naming me a hero, and as a former Marine and Afghan veteran I honestly believe I reacted by instinct,” he wrote on Facebook Monday, according to the Times.
During his interview with CBS, he went a step further, wishing he could have done more during the attack. “I wish I could have saved more, to be honest,” he said. “There are a lot of people that are dead … there are a lot of people that are dead.”
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did they just threatened the United States...Find out who?

North Korea...yep, I repeat North Korea, as new warning message circulates around the world where the DPRK boys sternly warned the Washington gods to back off their territory or face the wrath...This North Korea Sef! Pyongyang's state-controlled news agency KCNA said Tuesday the United States and Japan launched a "criminal joint nuclear attack training exercise" in May, citing the presence of B-52 Stratofortress bombers near South Korea in June. The United States is set on "maximizing" the risk of nuclear war on the Korean peninsula and therefore is in no position to advocate denuclearization, Pyongyang said. In an article published Saturday in the Workers' Party Rodong Sinmun, North Korea said, "Even if our sovereignty and right to exist are interfered with at the slightest, we will turn the U.S. imperialist military bases into seas of fire." North Korea propaganda outlet DPRK Today has also uploaded videos of medium-range ballistic mi...

Did he shot this man...Find out below.

 Police in South Florida shot an unarmed caretaker who had his hands in the air as he explained he was a medical professional caring for an autistic man outside a group home, newly released cellphone video shows. Charles Kinsey, 47, is seen lying on his back with his arms up and telling police he is a behavioral therapist in the video. A man, later identified as a 24-year-old autistic patient from the assisted living facility where Kinsey works, is seen sitting near him cross-legged, at times shouting. Advertisement Kinsey was shot at least once in the leg. The incident unfolded on Monday, when police answered the call near the group home where Kinsey works and the autistic man lives. Police received reports of a suicidal man with a weapon. In the video, the autistic man can be seen holding a small white object that Kinsey identified as a toy truck. Kinsey can be heard telling police, "All he has is a toy truck, a toy truck. I am a behavior therapist at a group home....

Dickson Iroegbu Writes Apology Letter To Fmr.President Of Nigeria

  Last Updated: 1 hours ago Nollywood movie producer, Dickson Iroegbu has come out publicly to ask former President Good luck Jonathan to forgive him and others for ganging up against his government when he attempted to remove oil subsidy. He says in his open letter "Dear Dr. Good luck Ebele Jonathan, I write to apologize on behalf of myself and the many repentant Nigerians like me who ganged up against your government in 2012. Your government's policy to remove subsidy on the Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), popularly known as patrol was completely misconstrued by us." He reveals "I was personally deceived by my overzealous comradely towards millions of Nigerians who had travelled to various locations at that time to spend Christmas with their loved ones. I was particularly concerned about NDIIGBO who traditionally returned home in droves during this period every year." He added "Sir, like millions of Nigerians I worked for your...